Below are web site links to the regulating bodies for the sport of Table Tennis. You can click on each image to visit their website respectively in a new window.
We strongly recommend that table tennis players in Ontario and across Canada become members of their respective provincial associations. The cost is minimal and the associations need the financial support to train Canadaâ€™s future champions.
Official Table Tennis Rules
The official table tennis rules are a comprehensive set of rules and regulations which are designed to cover any eventuality which may arise during a game.
These rules are reviewed annually by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) and any changes are normally implemented with effect from 1 September.
The rules used in Olympic table tennis competition are the standard international rules as set out by the ITTF . The format of the competition was proposed by the ITTF and approved by the Olympic administration. Click here to learn more.
- The upper surface of the table, known as the playing surface, shall be rectangular, 2.74m long and 1.525m wide, and shall lie in a horizontal plane 76cm above the floor.
- The playing surface shall not include the vertical sides of the tabletop.
- The playing surface may be of any material and shall yield a uniform bounce of about 23cm when a standard ball is dropped on to it from a height of 30cm.
- The playing surface shall be uniformly dark coloured and matt, but with a white side line, 2cm wide, along each 2.74m edge and a white end line, 2cm wide, along each 1.525m edge.
- The playing surface shall be divided into 2 equal courts by a vertical net running parallel with the end lines, and shall be continuous over the whole area of each court.
- For doubles, each court shall be divided into 2 equal half-courts by a white centre line, 3mm wide, running parallel with the side lines; the centre line shall be regarded as part of each right half-court.
- The ball shall be spherical, with a diameter of 40mm.
- The ball shall weigh 2.7g.
- The ball shall be made of celluloid or similar plastics material and shall be white or orange, and matt.
The Net Assembly
- The net assembly shall consist of the net, its suspension and the supporting posts, including the clamps attaching them to the table.
- The net shall be suspended by a cord attached at each end to an upright post 15.25cm high, the outside limits of the post being 15.25cm outside the side line.
- The top of the net, along its whole length, shall be 15.25cm above the playing surface.The bottom of the net, along its whole length, shall be as close as possible to the playing surface and the ends of the net shall be as close as possible to the supporting posts.